You’ve probably heard of mold appearing in kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry rooms, but did you know that mold often grows and spreads in garages, too? Mold loves any environment that has little ventilation and sunlight, so your garage can be the perfect haven for it when these conditions are present.
Central Florida Restoration Solutions offers expert garage mold removal and remediation services that ensure your home’s garage is mold-free. We’ll also give you tips on keeping mold away for good.
Why Does Mold Grow in Garages?
Mold needs three things to grow, spread, and wreak havoc: humidity, darkness, and inadequate air circulation. Typical causes of garage mold include:
- Worn-out door seals that allow damp weather and water to seep inside.
- Leaky plumbing, burst pipes, or broken washing machine hoses cause flooding.
- Rainstorms that, when combined with summer heat, increase humidity.
- Cardboard and other paper items stored in the garage that feed mold growth.
- Wet vehicle tires and undercarriages dripping water onto the garage floor.
Signs of Mold in the Garage
Mold grows inside garages in moist, dark, and humid areas. Mold spores then spread and attach themselves to all sorts of organic matter, including ceilings, drywall, and wood structural elements.
Five common signs you need mold removal in your Central Florida home’s garage include:
- A musty, damp, or “dirty sock” odor.
- Black, white, red, or gray patches or fuzzy spots on the ceiling or walls.
- Excessive moisture due to a recent flood or leak.
- Peeling, discolored, or powdery-looking paint.
- Family members or guests exhibiting symptoms associated with mold exposure.
While mold doesn’t grow on inorganic materials like concrete, any spills or mineral deposits on the garage floor can grow mold.
The Damage Garage Mold Can Cause
Mold’s adverse effects on your garage are the same as those that occur in the rest of your house. As mold grows and spreads, it consumes whatever it’s growing on. It can permanently damage building materials like drywall and, if mold removal services aren’t performed promptly, can destroy the structural integrity of wood framing materials.
Unfortunately, standing mold can also cause significant health problems for people who are exposed and sensitive to it, causing:
- Coughing and other respiratory issues
- Listlessness and fatigue
- Skin rashes
- Memory confusion
Mold is often to blame for asthma in adults and young children, though nearly everyone, including seniors, pregnant women, and those with immune disorders are susceptible to developing asthma or asthma-like symptoms.
Garage Mold Removal
Garage mold may start out as a small nuisance, but it can quickly develop into a serious problem, often within 24 to 48 hours.
Though it’s possible to clean small areas where mold growth is present, mold is like any other living organism in that it works to defend itself when attacked. If you do want to remove tiny amounts of mold yourself, do not use bleach, no matter how many people on the internet recommend it! You also don’t want to try and cover it over with a paint sealer. Mold must always be entirely removed along with any organic material that’s growing on it.
A professional mold removal company is your best option to safely remove garage mold. The highly skilled technicians at CFRS are trained in the latest mold removal techniques and can quickly track down the source of the moisture and safely remove any mold. They’re equipped to contain mold, remove it, and then clean and treat affected areas so it doesn’t return.
Tips to Keep Mold from Growing in Your Garage
Garages are particularly susceptible to mold damage because they’re so frequently exposed to the elements that cause it. When improperly sealed, rain can easily penetrate the interior, and as they’re used to store items like wood, cardboard, and fabric furnishings, garages provide mold with all the food sources it needs to survive and thrive.
Once professional mold removal services are performed, try these tips to keep mold from coming back.
- Inspect the garage for leaks by looking for small puddles on the floor. Walls and the ceiling might also have water stains.
- Check your home’s roof, piping, and gutters to ensure they’re in good condition. Fix any damage, no matter how small, immediately.
- Seal the garage door to prevent water from seeping inside. Replace damaged, torn, or crumbling weather stripping and, if you don’t already have one, consider installing a pre-insulated garage door panel with a higher R-value than your existing door.
- Reduce humidity levels to eliminate the risk of moisture buildup. Make sure the garage is dry and well-ventilated. You might also want to open the door and any windows occasionally to allow sunlight inside the space.
- Always immediately remove standing water.
- Maintain good drainage to prevent water from pooling inside the garage. A proper garage floor slope also helps divert water out of the garage, helping to prevent water damage and mold growth.
- Organize stored items in a way that keeps them away from water. Install metal shelving and use plastic bins to protect paper, clothing, or other organic materials from getting soaked.
- Extend the downspouts on your gutters to protect your house, foundation, and garage from moisture buildup.
If you’re installing a new garage or remodeling an existing one, consider using products and materials like mold-resistant drywall and waterproof paint. Viny or pre-coated aluminum siding can also help protect garage walls from water damage.
Call in the Pros for Garage Mold Removal
Mold in any area of the home is unappealing and risky, even when it’s mostly out of sight in the garage. That’s why it’s crucial to not put mold removal out of mind. If you discover mold in your Central Florida home’s garage, or even if you suspect you have a mold problem, the best course of action is to contact the mold removal specialists at Central Florida Restoration Solutions.
When you call us in to deal with your garage mold problem, we’ll quickly assess the type of mold, how to remove it safely, and where the water might be leaking from. Our state-of-the-art mold removal and remediation process uses advanced methods and equipment like HEPA vacuums and air scrubbers to:
- Isolate contaminated areas to keep mold spores from circulating during cleanup and removal.
- Capture microscopic mold spores.
- Remove mold-infested materials like drywall and carpeting.
- Eliminate mold colonies.
- Clean, sanitize, and eliminate odors from home contents.
We also perform restoration work like installing new carpeting and drywall and are happy to discuss whether your garage needs repair or reconstruction work. Contact CFRS today for garage mold removal at your home and rest easy knowing your family and home are safe and healthy!