Water stains on ceilings, walls, and floors are often the first indications of a roof leak. By the time a homeowner notices these signs, extensive damage has often happened elsewhere, particularly in the attic. Before replacing a customer’s roof, many roofing companies discover water damage that must be repaired before they can continue the job. This is where water remediation and roof replacement can go hand-in-hand.
As professional roofers well know, water can be one of the most destructive natural forces to hit a home. Nearly three million homeowners submit a claim for water damage each year, and it’s estimated that the related repair and replacement costs run more than $13 billion. Whether it’s due to neglect, severe storms, or damage from someone walking across the roof, a leaky roof can lead to structural damage and mold if it isn’t resolved quickly.
Most people naturally call in a roofing company when they discover a leak in their home’s roof. Unfortunately, when the roofer comes out to inspect the situation, they discover there’s remediation, restoration, and repair work needed that falls out of their scope.
When reputable roofers and water remediation companies collaborate to alleviate water damage, together they can identify the root cause of the leak and make any necessary repairs before replacing the roof. Roofers looking to grow their customer base often find working with a water restoration contractor can be a great way to increase revenue and provide another service to their customers.
What is Water Damage Remediation?
Water remediation is the process of cleaning and repairing water damage from a flood, burst pipe, or some other water incident. It uses special tools and techniques like water extraction, drying, cleaning, and sanitizing to bring a home back to its pre-flood condition. Water remediation services are taken before people begin any type of home restoration work, including a roof replacement. The process is critical to making sure the home is returned to the dry and sanitary environment it had before the water damage happened.
The Different Roles of Roofers and Water Remediation Companies
Roofers and water remediation companies each specialize in fixing problems caused by water, but the services they provide are, of course, quite different. Indeed, they complement each other but rarely do they include the same tasks.
Roofer responsibilities include:
- Inspecting the roof to determine damage and provide a replacement estimate.
- Transporting, loading, and unloading roofing materials to the property.
- Laying new roofing materials such as wood, asphalt, plastics, and metals.
- Sealing the new roof to protect it from water and weather.
Water remediation companies handle:
- Inspecting the property for mold damage, which is often hiding in places you can’t see.
- Completely removing residual water from drywall, ceiling, floors, and carpeting.
- Precise moisture monitoring to ensure hidden moisture pockets are identified and addressed.
- Cleaning and sanitizing all water-damaged materials and surfaces.
- The final drying process, which can take several days or more to complete.
- Pre-restoration repairs to ceilings, floors, and drywall. As for the ones that are unable to be salvaged, those materials are torn out.
Once the water disaster’s been stabilized, a water remediation company inspects the home and its contents for damage. Then, another round of detailed cleaning and additional repairs are often performed.
By building a strong relationship with a local water remediation company like Central Florida Restoration Solutions, roofers can provide their customers with immediate emergency support and gain a valuable competitive advantage.
Why Water Remediation Should Come Before Roof Replacement
Naturally, a leaky roof needs repairing or replacing as quickly as possible. But putting on a new roof before taking care of other problems like mold contamination can result in the problem just coming back after the new roof is in place.
Here are just some of the problems a leaky roof can cause long before the homeowner calls for a roof repair or replacement.
- Water damaged attics and ceilings – When a roof leaks, the attic is the first place water goes. Pooling water can damage attic floorboards and cause staining on lower-level ceilings. Water can also enter wall cavities and make its way down to floors below.
- Insulation damage – Any insulation inside the rafters and walls or on the floor can be soaked by water from a roof leak. Depending on the type of insulation, it can clump and make it virtually useless at insulating your home.
- Mold and mildew – It takes 24 hours or less for severe mold and mildew problems to begin once a home has experienced water damage. Unfortunately, mold and mildew aren’t reliable indications of where the water came from or where it has gone. Once airborne, mold spores can even enter HVAC systems, where they can cause health-related issues like breathing problems and heightened allergy symptoms.
- Damaged drywall – When drywall is exposed to water, it begins to sag, buckle, and deteriorate.
- Fire hazards – Many people are surprised to learn that flooding or a burst pipe can lead to home fires. How? Water and electricity do not mix. Shocks from the two coming into contact can spark a fire.
- Slip and fall incidents – Roof leaks often lead to water puddles in the attic and on lower-level floors.
- Structural problems – No matter how well-built a home is, it’s no match for the destructive power of water. Water damage causes rot throughout a house. Even a small roof leak can lead to extensive systemic failure in a home’s structural integrity.
Roofer and water restoration companies who refer each other and work together to a homeowner’s benefit often find customers trust them more and are more likely to prefer their services to others.
Water Restoration Companies and Roofers Working Together to Stop Water Damage
It sure would make life easier if a home’s water damage magically disappeared simply by replacing the roof. Unfortunately, as we’ve shown above, water can cause tremendous structural and other issues that don’t fall into a roofer’s specialties or capabilities.
If you own or operate a roofing company, partnering with a water remediation company like Central Florida Restoration Solutions helps you build business relationships with other local businesses, boosts your own referral rates, and improves your bottom line.
Many homeowners mistakenly believe a roofing contractor handles all damage related to a leaky roof. Educating your customers on why it might be a good idea to call in a water restoration company helps you gain greater trust and encourages repeat business and referrals. Today, people look to their home service providers to offer advice on how to handle all kinds of issues. The more a roofer knows about restoration companies, the better they can assist their customers. Lastly, insurance companies are demanding faster response times from restoration companies and other home repair services to reduce claims costs.
When it comes to roofers and water remediation companies, the referral aspect can work both ways. If the homeowner calls in a water restoration company first and the technician on the job discovers the services of a roofer are needed, they can call you in to make any necessary repairs or to replace the roof.
Today, roofing and water restoration companies have begun to realize each of their jobs goes more smoothly when they coordinate their work with each other. Together they’re able to help a homeowner solve their water damage problems.
What Homeowners Can Do About a Leaky Roof
Do homeowners play a role in bringing roofers and water remediation companies together? Yes. When water from a roof leak damages their home, it’s vital for a homeowner to have the leak, the roof, and the water damage repaired as quickly as possible before it can spread. Plus, insurance companies will sometimes deny a water damage claim if the homeowner didn’t take immediate steps to mitigate the damage.
Homeowners should also be educated on how untreated water damage can decrease their home’s value while making the home unsafe or unhealthy to live in. Whether they call a roofer or a water remediation company first, it’s extremely helpful if the homeowner can quickly be referred to the other provider. Working together, a roofer and restorer can promptly fix and restore a home to its former glory, protecting the people who live there and the home’s market value.
Why Roofers Should Refer Central Florida Restoration Solutions for Water Damage
Like other home services providers, most roofing companies have what’s referred to as needs and wants for their business. For example, they:
- Want or need to grow their roofing business.
- Want to be liked and respected by their fellow contractors and business owners.
- Want to provide their employees with a secure, thriving work environment.
- Want to deliver exceptional customer service.
- Need to have systems in place that improve efficiency.
- Need a detailed plan for expansion or retirement.
- Need to bring in more customers to increase profits.
- Need more and better marketing ideas, including where to find more referrals.
When a roofer partners with a water remediation company, they are, in effect, acting as an extension of the water restoration company’s service team and vice versa. Because homeowners are much more inclined to act on referrals from a roofer or water damage restoration company they trust, both service companies can profit from such referrals.
Partner With Central Florida’s Most Reliable Water Damage Remediation Company
Customer expectations and demands require assistance from both roofers and water restoration companies. What’s the point in repair or replacing a roof if dampness and wetness remain in the walls or support structures once the roofer leaves? There’s also no point in water remediation if the source of a roof leak isn’t identified and fixed. By working together, everyone benefits.
Partnering with a professional water damage remediation provider offers roofers big returns in the way of more referrals, improved customer loyalty, and a more robust bottom line. Finding the right water remediation professional to partner with doesn’t need to be a complicated endeavor, either.
At Central Florida Restoration Solutions, we consider referral opportunities to be the same as partnership opportunities. We provide the kind of services any roofer can be proud to recommend to their customers. And your customers will appreciate you making the referral and saving them the time and effort to locate a company on their own.
Central Florida Restoration Solutions has more than 25 years of experience in the water remediation field, has served nearly 1,000 customers, and has 18 industry certifications. Our reputation speaks for itself, and our customer reviews demonstrate we’ll treat your customers with the respect they deserve. Our extensive network of skilled and highly qualified professionals, including roofers, work with us to tackle any size or scope water damage project.
We believe in letting our roofing contractor partners handle their areas of expertise while we clean, dry, and sanitize a client’s home with the latest equipment. Our advanced water detection tools ensure no water source remains, helping homeowners avoid even more costly repairs.
CFRS is central Florida’s most experienced provider of water damage, mold damage, fire damage, and smoke damage restoration services. You and your roofing customers can always rely on us to locate and assess any and all water roof leaks and provide the services needed to mitigate any water damage that’s occurred.
To learn more about how referring Central Florida Restoration Solutions for water damage services can help you grow your roofing business, contact us online today or call or text us at 407-988-6101.