The purpose of mold remediation is to remove mold colonies from various surfaces inside and sometimes outside your Central Florida home. What mold remediation will cost at your home is difficult to predict. Factors like how much mold there is, where it’s located, and how much damage it’s done all have an impact on what you’ll spend. And in many cases, the underlying cause of the mold, such as a pipe leak or burst pipe, will also need to be addressed.
The vital thing to keep in mind is, no matter what you end up investing in mold remediation, it will undoubtedly be far less than if you handled it yourself or did nothing at all. Because the damage mold can do to your home and your health now, and in the future, can be incredibly expensive to fix.
Here’s a rundown of everything that goes into the mold removal and remediation services Central Florida Restoration Solutions provides.
A Quick Look at What Mold Is
The first thing to know is that mold is always present in your home. If another mold removal company tells you they can remove 100% of the mold from your house, they’re misleading you. There’s no way to prevent mold spores from entering and taking up residence in your home. People and pets bring it in on their shoes, clothing, paws, and fur. A problem occurs when, due to moisture levels and warm air, they land on a damp spot and begin to multiply and spread.
Mold can also enter your home through open windows and doors, vents, and the HVAC system. Once it finds a damp area to grow in, mold generally follows the same growth pattern:
- It starts to proliferate in damp or wet building materials like cellulose and wood.
- It makes its way into carpeting, rugs, and upholstery.
- Attaches itself to people and animals in the house, who then spread it to other rooms and locations.
Once mold growth becomes significant, you can usually see or smell it. But it also often hides in places you would have never imagined.
The Affect of Mold on Your House and Health
No matter how small you think it is, if you suspect you have a mold problem, calling in a mold removal specialist can help lessen the amount of damage the mold will do. Since mold infestations typically colonize with one to 14 days, having a professional mold removal contractor handle the issue as soon as possible is key to protecting your home and health.
- While some don’t react at all, many people are highly sensitive to mold, particularly those with breathing problems like asthma or allergies. For them, mold exposure can cause a variety of health effects, such as a stuffy nose, wheezing or shortness of breath, red and/or itchy eyes, and irritating skin conditions including rashes.
- Once it starts to spread, mold can eat away at your home’s drywall, wallpaper, ceiling tiles, floorboards, and other structures and materials. Left unchecked, it can even lead to ceilings collapsing, walls deteriorating, and floorboards buckling. Of course, it takes a while for this level of damage to happen, but many materials can and do become damaged beyond repair the longer you wait to remove the mold.
Does Your Central Florida Home Have a Mold Problem?
If your Central Florida home has suffered water damage, mold damage may not be far behind. You may notice visible mold in the area where the water damage occurred. It’s also found in bathrooms, bedrooms, living spaces, kitchens, attics, crawlspaces, and more. Wherever there’s water or dampness, mold has an opportunity to grow and spread.
The homeowners we talk to tend to have a lot of questions about dealing with mold damage issues. We’re always happy to explain the dangers of mold, the damage it can do, and why it’s so critical to have it removed quickly. We also remind them it’s just as important to fix the underlying water or moisture problem that led to the mold growth.
The two main reasons it makes a lot of sense to work with a professional mold removal company are:
- Cleaning up and drying out your home should begin within 24 to 48 hours of water damage.
- Most homeowners don’t have the professional tools needed to make this happen.
A professional water and mold remediation company is usually the quickest way to get your home back to normal within the recommended timeframe.
Homeowners can do some smaller tasks to eliminate mold, like cleaning showers and other tiled surfaces, but the work is generally best left to professionals.
What To Expect From A Professional Mold Removal Service
Any mold professional worth their salt should be able to explain the mold removal project in a language you understand. If they can’t or won’t, be wary of hiring them! It’s possible they do know what they’re doing, but if you’re left confused about the process at the start, it’ll only get worse as it goes on. A “thanks, but no thanks” is your best bet.
When you hire a professional mold removal company like CFRS with its years of experience and talent for reassuring its customers, here’s what you can expect:
- Proper safety gear worn at all times while dealing with mold. High-quality, high-filtration face masks, and protective gloves are a must. Full protective suiting is also recommended when using harsh chemicals and for large mold removal and remediation jobs.
- Sealed-off work areas, so mold spores don’t disperse throughout your home.
- The use of professional equipment such as HEPA air scrubbers, filters, and vacuums, commercial-strength dehumidifiers, and air movers. The more advanced the equipment, tools, and techniques our crews use, the more quickly your mold removal job can be completed.
- Disposal of moldy porous building materials such as drywall, insulation, and baseboards. As these relatively inexpensive materials are difficult or impossible to restore to their previous uncontaminated condition, it’s usually best to just replace them.
- Post-demo use of antimicrobial chemical solutions to clean any remaining mold and mold stains.
- Sealer or encapsulant to help with odor control and ensure treated areas are more resistant to future water damage and mold.
How to Hire the Right Mold Remediation Company
Other things to consider when looking for and hiring professional mold removal services include:
- Experience: Talk to companies that have been in the business for at least ten years, as it speaks to their expertise and reputation. CFRS has more than 25 years in the mold remediation industry and is prepared to handle any mold situation you might have. It’s essential to your mold removal project’s success.
- Community: Some national firms farm work out to local contractors who might not have the experience and expertise you need. Is this company a truly local one? A local contractor like CFRS has access to other contractors in the area like plumbers, electricians, and home improvement contractors they can refer you to.
- Emergency services: Water and mold disasters strike at all times of the day and night and need to be dealt with quickly to prevent further damage to your home. Twenty-four-hour responsiveness helps prevent that. CFRS offers 24-hour services for a variety of home disasters.
Hiring a professional mold removal company doesn’t have to be a complicated or confusing process. Just look for an experienced one that doesn’t push for unnecessary testing, charges reasonable prices, uses professional practices & equipment, and can clearly explain what work they’ll be doing as well as how long they estimate it will take.
How Expensive Can I Expect Removal to Be?
So, what are “reasonable prices” for mold removal? Like most things related to home comfort services, it depends on the size of the job. If you feel a quote is too high, ask a couple of other companies to bid as well. But if you get a low quote that sounds too good to be true, it probably is! The only companies that can give you a rock bottom price are the ones who don’t do things properly.
It’s important to keep in mind, too, that just like plumbers and electricians, mold remediation professionals are licensed and skilled tradespeople. Yes, you can expect to pay a mold removal company more than you would a handyman, but remember professional remediation companies have the right tools, people, and knowledge to get the job done right. And because they operate a business that employs local workers, they have overhead costs such as general liability and workers comp insurance, equipment and technology investments, well-maintained trucks, and other business-related expenses which factor into their price. All in all, being willing to pay for the services of a professional are always in your best interests because you know the job is getting done right the first time.
What Successful Mold Remediation Looks Like
Professional mold remediation specialists like CFRS know from years of experience that the mold our Central Florida customers see in their homes is often a sign of more extensive problems in its drywall, insulation, subflooring, and other areas. Our technicians have the experience and professional equipment needed to eradicate damaging mold and mildew, wherever it’s hiding. They know the signs to look for and what steps not to take. To ensure your home’s mold removal project is a success, they:
- Locate all mold, including what’s visible, hidden, or in the form of dormant spores.
- Destroy black mold quickly and efficiently.
- Use advanced, professional-grade equipment to remove mold from building materials, upholstery, and other items.
- Find and eliminate the source of mold, whether it’s from wet materials or leaks.
- Prevent future mold growth by removing affected items and applying products to inhibit mold development.
- Repair mold-related damage and clean contaminated spaces.
Done right by technicians who know what they’re doing, professional mold remediation is a quick and efficient process that ensures your Central Florida home is mold-free and continues to stay that way!
What Are Considered Mold Remediation Services?
Professional mold remediation services include everything from removing water-damaged materials to the cleaning and filtration of your home to remove any remaining mold spores. Industry-standard processes and practices include:
- Mold inspection or assessment to determine the severity of your Central Florida home’s mold problem and the type or types of mold infestation you’re dealing with.
- Containment for more extensive mold remediation and removal.
- Proven mold removal products and techniques for porous and non-porous materials.
- Air filtration machines with HEPA filters to ensure good air quality and the safety of all living spaces.
- Repairs, if needed, to fix and restore damaged property.
How to Keep Mold Out of Your Central Florida Home
Unfortunately, given the right conditions, mold can come back, even after professional mold remediation. One of the biggest advantages of hiring a professional remediation company is it takes steps to make sure mold doesn’t reappear after your project is complete.
Homeowners can help control mold growth by taking these easy steps:
- Keeping humidity levels as low as possible. Experts recommend somewhere between 30 to 50 percent all day long. Air conditioners and dehumidifiers, especially during humid periods, help keep levels where they should be.
- Promptly fix roof, window, and pipe leaks—don’t give mold a place to grow!
- Completely clean and dry your home after flooding. Water damage specialists have the industrial strength equipment needed to get the job done right.
- Keep your home’s kitchen, bathrooms, and laundry area adequately ventilated. Exhaust fans that vent outside your home, not into the attic, are a must.
Lastly, establish a monthly or weekly routine when you look for any signs of water damage or visible mold in your home.
When you have a leaky pipe, you call in a plumber. A roof leak requires the services of a professional roofer. In most cases, a home mold problem should be handled by a professional, too. It’s the surest way to maintain healthful air quality and keep mold from damaging your home’s structure and belongings. CFRS has expertly and efficiently delivered fast, professional, mold removal services to nearly 1,000 homeowners throughout Central Florida. We can help you solve your mold problem, too. Contact us today to learn more about permanently removing mold from your home.