Cooking accidents, heating mishaps, electrical wiring issues, smoking, and candles are the top five causes of house fires in Central Florida. Though all can cause extensive fire damage to a home, electrical wiring fires differ significantly from the others.
When your home suffers damage from an electrical house fire, a qualified fire damage remediation company can assist with removal and other services to help return your home and life to normal quickly.
Electrical Fires and the Damage They Cause
About 10% of reported home fires can be traced to faulty electrical equipment and wiring, most often found in older homes. They cause over 1,100 injuries and nearly 500 deaths and are responsible for approximately $1.4 billion in direct property damage yearly.
Newer homes can fall victim to an electrical fire if their home’s electrical system is compromised by dust and debris or if bare wires are present near insulation. And anyone can experience an electrical fire if their home’s electronic equipment sparks a blaze.
Electrical fires differ from other house fires because:
- They can occur with no warning
- They tend to spread quickly, traveling along wires into other junctions
Most electrical fires begin in outlets, and ungrounded outlets are more likely to spark, create an electrical arc, or catch fire. Other causes include:
- Electrical circuit overloads that occur when too many cords are plugged into a single power source, typically an extension cord or power strip.
- Old appliances that don’t meet modern materials, construction, or safety regulations.
- Light fixtures with incorrect high-wattage bulbs or that have been covered with makeshift cloth lampshades.
- Portable heaters that ignite nearby flammable materials like bedding, curtains, and upholstery.
Tips to Protect Your Family From Electrical Fires
Even if you faithfully follow home fire safety rules and precautions, preventing an electrical fire isn’t always possible. Here’s how many electricians recommend you stay as safe as possible:
- Make sure your home’s electrical system is safe and up to code. You might need to upgrade outlets to GFCI versions, upgrade your older electrical panel, replace old wiring, etc.
- Never use an electricity-fed piece of equipment with a frayed, broken, or crimped wire which could spark and ignite.
- Install multiple working smoke detectors throughout your home, including outside every bedroom. Test and replace the batteries frequently.
- Invest in one or more fire extinguishers with a class C or ABC rating.
Lastly, make sure any electrical inspections or work performed at your home is carried out by a qualified, licensed electrician. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) offers a couple of helpful safety tip sheets that cover various indoor electrical and outdoor electrical precautions.
Fire Damage Restoration and Remediation
The fire damage from a home electrical fire can be devastating. Fire damage restoration services return your home to its previous condition efficiently and include:
- Inspecting the entire house for fire damage
- Removal of all damaged household items
- Handling related smoke damage and water damage caused by the fire department putting out the fire
It’s essential to have a restoration team come to your home as soon as possible after an electrical fire to prevent further fire damage, including corrosion and discoloration caused by smoke and ash.
Central Florida Restoration Solutions is Central Florida’s most trusted fire damage restoration company. Our fast, quality services like cleaning and deodorizing affected surfaces and materials are designed to help you avoid costly repairs and renovations, and ensure minimal disruption to your daily routine.
To learn more about CFRS’ fire damage services and how we can help you avoid costly repairs, contact us online or call or text us at 407-988-6101. We’re here to offer you the support and fire damage solutions you need to ensure your family and Central Florida home are served with care and consideration. CFRS will do all we can to help minimize the impact of the devastating effects that fire damage can cause. We also offer 24/7 emergency services and are experienced in billing directly to your insurance company.