Storm season in Central Florida is prime-time for water damage and mold. Contrary to popular belief, many risks from storm damage exist inside the home after water has made its way indoors.
At Central Florida Restoration Solutions, we’ve seen first-hand the devastation storms can cause on both coastal and inland properties. We’re skilled at quickly identifying the source of water leaks inside your home and can resolve the issue before it worsens and causes structural damage and mold growth. Our dependable water damage remediation and restoration services bring the peace of mind you deserve following a storm-related disaster at your home.
Storm-Related Water Damage in Central Florida
Water can make its way into your home in several different ways during and after a storm:
- Broken windows caused by high winds or propelled items like tree branches and lawn furniture.
- Roof leaks due to shingles being ripped off the roof or a hole in the roof caused by fallen trees or powerlines.
- Flooding that occurs from ocean water storm surges or slow-rising floods.
- Salt inundation that corrodes metal and destroys wood.
While leaky and burst pipes are two of the most common reasons people need water damage remediation and restoration, during Florida’s storm season, it’s not unusual for many homes to experience some level of water and mold damage.
One of the biggest problems with post-storm water damage is that it isn’t always immediately apparent, with some signs hidden away behind walls, above ceilings, and under floorboards. Your home may also develop one or more slow leaks that take time to manifest as water damage. A qualified water damage restoration company can accurately pinpoint water damage in your Central Florida home and take whatever steps are needed to make repairs and stop the damage from worsening.
Where to Find Water Damage After a Storm
Once a storm passes through, it often leaves ruin and wreckage behind. Fallen trees, shattered windows, and damaged roofs are just a few signs of storm damage we see after a storm. Fortunately, this type of damage is apparent and can usually be dealt with immediately. Other types of damage, though, are hidden, often for a long time, slowly but steadily compromising your Central Florida home’s integrity.
Overlooking these damages isn’t an option, as they pose long-term risks to your home and the people who live there. To ensure the well-being of your property and your loved ones, you need to detect any hidden storm damage and address it promptly.
When inspecting your home after a storm, look for these common signs of damage:
- Wall, roof, siding, window frame, and stucco cracking or chipping – Regardless of their size, all these symptoms could result in leakage and water damage.
- Water in the crawl space – this can lead to mold growth or structural damage if not removed quickly.
- Wet or moist building materials and household furnishings – these may become breeding grounds for mold and mildew.
How to Prevent Storm-Related Water Damage
Stormwater can quickly overwhelm natural and manufactured water control systems, leading to flooding and property damage. Fortunately, you can prepare your home for these potential risks and help prevent severe storm-related water damage. In many cases, these preventative steps can be the difference between costly home repairs and little to no storm damage to your home.
- Landscaping. All trees and branches should be at least six feet away from your home’s roof. Trim dead wood regularly.
- Unsecured objects. Clear or store away items that might become airborne during a storm, including lawn chairs, grills, and picnic tables.
- Gutters. Routinely check gutters and downspouts for clogs, holes, and other damage. Make sure water is draining away from your home property to prevent crawlspace flooding.
- Sealants. Leaky windows, doors, chimneys, and skylights are some of the leading causes of water damage after a storm. Check all areas for decayed or dried out sealant and reseal where necessary.
- Utilities. Protect against electrical disruption by ensuring the lines to your home are clear of any trees or shrubs that could bring them down during high winds or heavy rain. Consider installing a backup generator to power essential appliances like refrigerators and freezers. Indoors, use surge protectors to protect electronics and appliances from the effects of lightning.
- Sump pump. If your home has one, make sure it’s in proper working condition before the storm arrives.
The Best Way to Clean Up Storm Damage
When cleaning up storm damage, keep in mind that stormwater can be contaminated by industrial and agricultural waste, fecal matter, and harmful bacteria that could affect people’s health. Never allow children or pets to play in floodwater and wear protective clothing if you decide to walk through it or start drying it out yourself.
Also, look out for electrical hazards caused by downed power lines and damaged electrical equipment. You should always assume a fallen power line is “live” and extremely dangerous. Use battery-powered flashlights and lanterns until you know it’s safe to turn on the electricity.
To avoid contamination, injuries, and further damage, you need to clean up, dry out, and restore what’s left behind after a storm. One of the fastest and surest ways to ensure the job’s done right is to hire a qualified restoration company like CFRS. We offer residential water and mold damage remediation and restoration services that include:
- Structural drying
- Water removal
- Humidity control
- Moisture detection
- Raw sewage cleanup
- and more
We provide 24/7 emergency restoration services, so you never need to wait to get started on drying out and restoring your home’s interior. We also have years of experience working with local homeowners’ insurance agents and companies and can refer you to a reputable public adjuster if needed.
Timing is Key to Managing Storm Damage
Water and mold can do enormous damage to a home in a very short time. When you need storm damage restoration and mold remediation services, you need them now! CFRS offers round-the-clock emergency water and mold damage services you can rely on.
Though it’s always a good idea to call our technicians in as soon as possible after a storm, these situations need immediate attention:
- Backed-up sewer lines or overflowing toilets.
- Deep flooding in one or more areas of the house.
- Plumbing leaks from burst or broken water pipes.
Whatever the cause of storm damage to your Central Florida home, you need a restoration company you can trust to restore it to its former condition.
After the Storm, Central Florida Restoration Solutions is the One to Call
Many homeowners are amazed to discover how complex water and mold remediation and restoration services can be. For over 25 years, we’ve built our reputation on providing Central Florida homeowners with the compassionate and friendly service they need after a storm damages their property.
Our technicians use only the most advanced tools, techniques, and equipment to complete the water damage restoration process, mitigate mold growth, and ensure your property’s cared for quickly and efficiently. You can trust our crew to return your Central Florida home to its pre-storm condition. They’re also happy to answer all your questions while helping you get your life back to normal.
You’ve made a huge investment in your home, and a healthy indoor environment is essential to your quality of life. If your home has suffered storm-related damage, you don’t need to manage the cleanup all alone. From paperwork to restoration, the team at CFRS is on your side! Contact us online or call us at 407-988-6101 to learn more or to schedule a consultation.